The Oratory 160th Anniversary
2019 was an exciting time for The Oratory School as it was 160 years since the school was founded by Blessed John Henry Newman in Edgbaston, Birmingham. The school began on 2 May 1859 with 9 boys. Since that time, the school has moved twice, firstly to Caversham Park in 1922, and then to Woodcote in 1942 and has grown in size since its Victorian days of no more than 70 boys.
Last year we reflected on all that the school and its pupils have achieved, and celebrate everything that makes the school so special: our wonderful pupils and talented teachers, our supportive parents, our passion for education, our nurturing Catholic values and our beautiful expansive grounds. We had three fantastic events, our Whole School 160th Anniversary Celebration on 4 May; our 160th Anniversary Day of Celebrations on 22 June and the Charity Ball on 15 November.
The Oratory family also joined in with a social media campaign which asked parents, staff, pupils and alumni to sum up what The Oratory School means to them in three words.
Scroll down this page to see some photos of the "three words" campaign.